[CCF] WPX phone

Jouko Häyrynen jouko.hayrynen at kolumbus.fi
Thu Mar 29 06:06:19 EST 2007

OM Ragnar,

You have grought up very valid points.

I am speaking here only as an individual, not supporting any camp.
I hope this will encourage the open debate - we contesters are already under
magnifying class by rest of the ham community.

Probably we all have sometimes either accidentally or purposely violated rules -
well, probably not all.
To me, this is like asking a sailor, if he has ever hit a rock.

Nevertheless, it takes two to tango. Couple of examples (not so hypothetical).

- CN2R calls SSB CQ in CQWW/WPX/RDXC on 1828kHz, will you work a multiplier or
not? Temptation is high and if you do - bingo, you are busted!

- K1TTT calls SSB CQ on 7148kHz and QSX on 7028kHz, will you work? You do -
busted man, busted again!

- UA0nnn calls CQ on 1856kHz (that is totally banned frequency e.g. in OH),
would I work a multiplier? Ah, temptating...

- 9V1YB calls CQ on 7136kHz (that is not at all allowed in 9V1 but ok e.g. in
your country. Would you work a dear multiplier while knowing that you encourage
him to continue to violate the rules? Hmmm...

- You call CQ in RDXC on 14038kHz CW, VP5xx comes 599 and he asks you to
momentarily switch to USB for another QSO. Well, do you feel a gun pointing to
you?

Every single contest we see guys "bending the rules" and you can find various
national and international black lists in the web. Will those help? I claim not.
A pill?
a) Simple thing is to ignore the negligent guys and work within the band limits.

b) If somebody has time and money, start applying the Region 3 Monitoring System
(see Region 3 home page). Interesting, but not really effective.

Many countries have applied self-monitoring policy for ham radio. National tele
administrations have, so to say, washed their hands on the issue by delegating
their powers. Therefore, it should be the task of a local association to step up
on these matters, regardless if a ham violating rules is a member of the
national IARU member society or not. - Boy, when these incidents are brought up
to public, that will really create high waves! I have so far heard no cases
during the last 10 years in OH.

Splatters

I fully agree with you Ragnar. +/- 10kHz splatters are killers e.g. in 40m,
where not all countries have applied wider band limits. I am afraid we have to
wait another 10 years to let the old linear (and not so linear) amps and rigs to
wear out, before there are cleaner pile ups. QZP is here to stay for a long
time.

CQers

Totally other issue is that contest stations run with different configuration
and have hugely different rx-conditions due to local QRM/QRN environment.
E.g. I got angry friends on Sunday in WPX while answering successfully on 40m
CQs of VK, VR, VU, DU, BV, BY ... in my sunset using 1800-1650Hz rx -bandwidth
and with all the bells and whistles and antennas that my rigs and myself could
produce. Close to those stations QSS were Europeans CQ "prayer drums". Who was
misbehaving? Me digging DX -multipliers or super loud CQers getting annoyed when
there were stations they could not hear?

I am calling NRAU Committee to take a public stand and opinion on these issues,
too.

I have been in professional maritime radio services and a ham radio operator
since 1977 and I confess. Yes, I have accidentally violated the rules at least
once during these 30 yrs and ca. 100k+ QSOs. What is the verdict?

Summa summarum; YOU CAN produce good results having decent tx -signal bandwidth
and without violating ITU/IARU frequency plans, too.

Good contesting and DX hunting to you all!
 - after all, this is a hobby is great fun and variety. Isn´t it.

73s
de
Jouko
OH1RX  & very very ex-OHC/OHG/OHG2/OFJ/OFJ2/OIID/OIGP/OHMM etc.