[CCF] OH2KI: Contesting practises (QSP via OH0XX)

HP1WW ea4bq at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 30 10:35:07 EST 2007

A message from Jorma, OH2KI:

Olli,. please forward this to the reflector.
----------------
It is the learing curve by each of us in stake.

I finished working CQWWSSB SOAB because 7 MHz SSB was the key for winning -
I had won the EU records at least 5 times for ZB2X. Then I continued on CW,
winning records.
Now facing with too high power levels I may not jump into the battle any
more with modest powers, as I used to output 400 W to a 3-bander.

Some people (like that OH5) are in the agressive phase in their mind set. I
learned much from the Canadian team who won WRTC, how to be polite and win.
Also at the recent WPX SSB we at AN8A tried some selfdiscipline but even in
that small group it was difficult to steer operators to keep gains down and
clear signals up. It was not my task to do so either, I was just another
operator. I personally received 3 complaints on the band, one complaint came
from my good friend PA0LOU, he did not know who the operator was. Thanks
Lou.

This CQ'ing also got a complaint in a very typical situation: utilizing
quick swithable beams to EU and to USA, I called from time to time to EU,
and switched from time to time to USA waiting the path to USA get better.
When the conditions improved US started calling me, and this US guy probably
having stayed on the frequency long, too, did not tolerate that my signal
got stronger minute by minute.
We had some exchange of words what the point is, but he was not taking any
input, I made the QSY. This was the "Canadian soft way"

Everybody does his contest reflecting the surrounging where he has grown.
But learning curve should correct the behaviour.
Yesterday we heard an interesting TV news: the Finnish Army starts to
educate the young people in service to become more tolerant. Maybe next
contest generation is smoother also here in Finland?

73 OH2KI Jorma