[CCF] "Revolutionizing" SAC

Kim Östman kim.ostman at abo.fi
Mon Dec 14 11:50:27 PST 2009

Hi all,

There has been a lot of talk about developing SAC,
with valuable polls and panel discussions included
in that process. One thing that has materialized
is the log submission and results website that was put
up this year; once more, thanks to those responsible for it!

I do not want to sound like a whiner or point any
fingers, as I appreciate the effort that contest
organizers put into making things work on whatever
timetable. But let's face it, we are in the computer age,
and our contest organization is from the paper age. I find
it strange that we continue living with deadlines and delays
that have been inherited from the cumbersome age of paper logs.

If we are going to attract new people into this contest
and non-hams into this hobby, I don't think it helps
much to say that well, you'll know how you did in about
a year or so if you're lucky. Heck, even the peer review
process of most scientific journals works faster than that!

The Nordic countries are generally hailed as some
of the most technologically advanced nations in the
world. So how about we make SAC really unique among all
contests? Let me propose a couple of drastic changes
to modernize the SAC results process:

1. Log submission deadline: 24h after the end of the
   contest. Exceptions may be granted to DX peditions,
   although I think that if one can afford going to
   some faraway country it shouldn't be a problem to
   organize the log sending from there too. After all,
   sending the log is an integral part of the effort.

2. Results published: 1-2 weeks after the contest.
   For paper logs this probably requires some effort
   from volunteers, but that shouldn't be a big problem.
   Help was already offered to this year's organizers
   by at least two hams.

So, what does everybody think? I have been taught that
"If there is a will, there is a way," and I continue
to believe that.

73
Kim OH6KZP