[CCF] CQ160 CW OH8X(OH6UM) Single Op HP

Luoma-aho Pasi Pasi.Luoma-aho at digia.com
Wed Feb 11 07:04:29 EST 2009

CQ 160-Meter Contest 2009, CW

Call: OH8X
Operator(s): OH6UM
Station: OH8X

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Arcala
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1401  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 78  Total Score = 1,112,139

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

The two year long "Arcala Monster" project is approaching the final straight
and the 3 el 160m yagi was put into action first time during this CQ 160m CW
contest. The last remaining topics had been mostly around matching and
rotating. On Thursday night things were finally functioning satisfactorily.

With only one night of testing behind, the contest started. The first night
went otherwise pretty reasonably, but it proved to be almost impossible to fit
in on any frequency during the first hours. Boy, what a buzz! Just before the
sunrise on Saturday morning the yagi's SWR rose for the first time and the
contest was carried on with the 4-SQ.  No clear reason for the SWR was found
until late in the afternoon.  After a few fixes the yagi was fired up again
on Saturday night, but unfortunately just for a few hours. The SWR problem
was back again. Nothing could be done until Sunday daylight, so the whole
second night and Sunday sunrise went without the "Monster" again. Second
climb to the tower on Sunday afternoon brought the yagi back into action
for the last six hours of the contest. The main problems were with complex
matching of the elements.

Even though no real comparisons between the "Monster" and the 4-SQ were
done this weekend, my overall feeling is that there definately is some good
potential in the "Monster".  Although the 4-SQ in Arcala is performing
very well, my feeling is that the rates usually went higher with the
"Monster". Unfortunately I couldn't check this feeling on the second night,
when there was a good opening to NA with much less QRM than on the first
night.

Congrats to all the great scorers around the world, and thanks especially
to Pertti at OG2P (1396 qsos) and Kim at OH4A (1401 qsos) for a very tight
competition. Beware you guys down there in the South! We're approaching you!
:)

Major thanks to the Arcala extremes team for all the hard antenna works and
other preparations done for this "southerner", who after travelling some 9+
hours was able to sit to the table set ready for him and enjoy this great
Contest once again!

For more Radio Arcala, see www.radioarcala.com

73 es cu in the pileups!  Contest IS!

Pasi OH6UM/OH2IW

PS. Veijo/OH6KN, don't you think it's about time to have a sauna in Arcala,
too? :)