[CCF] CQWW CW, SOSB80 Low Power, R3/SM6LRR

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 04:52:17 PST 2009

Call: R3/SM6LRR
Operator(s): SM6LRR
Station: R3/SM6LRR

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Vereya, Russia
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:  827    17       66
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Top of Europe Contesters

Comments:

As always a true pleasure to work CQWW!

This time I decided to seriously work from my home station (located in the
summer house 100 km west of Moscow).

As my Russian licence does not permit HP operation and subsequently no
amplifier was available, I decided to try Single Band 80 LP as a challenging
category.

With 100 Watts and a simple Top-Loaded 17 meter vertical, I did not expect
any
miracles, but I must say I was pleased with both the performance of the
antenna
and the activity on the bands. Many Stateside and Japaneese stations were
logged, as well as quite a few Carribean stations.

The excitement of the contest was to be called by P40A. The disappointment
was
in not getting BY and Zone 24 despite calling B7P and B5TT at least a
hundred
times... and thinking that 599 plus signals from their side would be enough
for
me to come through. Obviously reception in China is not as good as
transmission
:) I was also not the only one having problems to get through. Even the 5
element monster antenna on 80 meters at OH8X seemed insufficient to get
through
at first :)

Thanks to all stations with good ears who still managed to pick up my
signals
and give me valueable points and multipliers.

See you next year, hopefully in All Band HP category, maybe with a little
less
complicated call than R3/SM6LRR... Imagine the two R's at the end being
mixed
with the first R at the beginning of the call - and this taking place on a
crowded 80 meter band.

R3/SM6LRR, Mats