[CCF] ARRL DX Contest CW - CR2A

OG9X timo.korhonen at elisanet.fi
Wed Feb 22 08:40:18 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: CR2A
Operator(s): OH2BH
Station: CR2X

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Azores, EU
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:     1452    59
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1452    59  Total Score = 244,260

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

MISSION OF LOW BAND ARRL DX CONTEST RECORDS IN AZORES

It was not that long ago John, ON4UN published his book entitled /Low Band
DXing/ and at the same time dominated the EU low-band scene on 160/80M. John
proved that his stuff was working big time and he had cw/ssb ARRL DX Contest
low-band records under his name.

Meanwhile, up in the North not much was heard on those bands because of close
proximity to the magnetic North Pole plus the always present Northern Lights.
Listening to John for his daily "broadcasts" to USA was sometimes quite
frustrating, to say the least. Gladly, John occasionally allowed us to try
under his wing, but with meager results.

Around the Northern fireworks, some compact acts were seriously sketched on the
drawing boards. How about building the world's biggest antenna, and hopefully
get the propagation gap somewhat closed. So, K7ZV helped OH2BH put up an 80M
3-element beam, similar to his on 80M. Ultimately a 3-element 160M beam and a
5-element 80M beam saw daylight at Radio Arcala, OH8X. See
<www.radioarcala.com>

Yes, now we were able to work USA long path with great results but on short
path no tangible improvement was obtained. The path remained only marginal.
We never really managed to raise the curtain, as it were.

So, it was all narrowed down to a southerly European location. We laid the EU
map wide open and looked at several factors - adding to a potential radio QTH
the attractions of the overall place, such as favorable temperatures and a
beautiful and safe environment. Top it up with friendly local people and easy
access by air. See <www.cu2a.com>

In the end, the Azores, CU2/CR2 were selected - a dream location was in sight.
In 2008, there was an antenna party to put up three towers populated with a
powerful antenna configuration. Obviously, included were an 80M beam and an
assortment of 160M transmitting and receiving antennas. Now, today at last,
both CW and SSB, 160m and 80m, ARRL DX Contest records are captured from our
Azores location, with several other contests and bands to boot.

It was a long journey but it is was very pleasing to find the truth. Thanks to
John's /Low Band/ /DXing/ and his presence at live demonstrations on the air,
we got the spirit to proceed for ultimate success.

We thank you all for calling us here on the Azores and helping us with our
mission. Glad that we were able to reach your antenna connector on the lowest
of the bands and in many cases provide you with a first European contact!

Hope to see you in the next ARRL DX Contest and others.

Martti, CU2KG

PS: Pertti, OH2PM did 15M single band as CR2X and claim a new EU record.