[CCF] [TOEC] SAC CW 2012 RESULTS PUBLIHED

Göran Ingemar Backman sm5sic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 06:43:03 EST 2012

In CW, if You accept to operate a rig 200 Hz + or - off of Your intended
frequency, then You must be 200 Hz away from the bandedge. If You operate a
WWII-rig and know only by the kHz, where You are, then You should operate 1
kHz from the bandedge. If You do not know at all, on which frequency You
are, You should find out that first before starting to transmit.

Is it really true that we have radio amateurs, that do not know what
frequency they are on? I find that really hard to believe, since that is a
basic thing in operating.

And about the silence, Mats. That is quite normal. As soon as things get
"jobbigt" (awkward), "hukar folk sig" (people bend down). Just sweep it
under the carpet... :-)

However, You have lifted the cat on the table. In the next contest, people
will be much more aware about their power and frequency. The change will
happen in silence. And there will no need for deductions in the next log
check. So thank You very much Mats for making an effort for better
contesting.

And about fucking up. It can happen to anyone. The difference is that not
everybody have the guts to admit the facts. I admit them, even the less
flattering one, because then I can adress the problem and correct it.
During the last SSA portable spring contest in May, I thought I rememberd
the rules. In operation I started to give running numbers in addition to
power class and locator. During operation I understood that something was
wrong and read the rules. There was no running numbers in this test...
After that operating was easier. The lesson learnt was to read the rules
before every contest, even the familiar ones. (I usually have a paper
beside the station with the most important facts, like what frequencys are
off contest.) And in the soap box comments in the log I asked for
forgiveness for my mistake, because some stations had been astonished to my
requsts for the running number.

73 de SM5SIC Göran