[CCF] WPX CW OH6QU SO(A)SB15 HP

oh6qu at netikka.fi oh6qu at netikka.fi
Mon May 27 18:12:53 EDT 2019

Hupia viikonlopun sadepäivien ratoksi & 21 MHz:n napakelien tutkiskelua.

                     CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: OH6QU
Operator(s): OH6QU
Station: OH6QU

Class: SO(A)SB15 HP
QTH: Maalahti
Operating Time (hrs): 35

------------
   160:
    80:
    40:
    20:
    15: 1008
    10:
------------
Total: 1008  Prefixes = 629  Total Score = 840,344

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

After a long, dark and cold winter in Finland I find it difficult to
motivate
myself to participate in CQ WPX CW because it is finally sunny and warm
weather
outside. Well, this year I didn’t have that motivation problem - the
national
weather forecast told that during the contest weekend it is hardly 10
degrees
Celsius and rainy.

I am still in lack of antennas and a station automation for a serious
multi-band
operation and therefore I decided to participate the contest in
SO(A)SB15
HP-category. The 21 MHz band is my favourite – it is not too crowded and
my
stack of three Hy-Gain TH7DX antennas are performing very well on this
band. On
the other hand my QTH is located at 63N latitude which normally means I
am not
blessed with those regular openings towards North America and Japan as
they do
in Central and Southern EU but you just have to live with it.

As expected at this stage of the solar cycle the band didn’t really open
for
me towards North America around 11 – 14 UTC. Saturday I only managed to
work
KC1XX during this time window but Sunday there were around thirty North
American
stations audible. Most of them didn’t move my S-meter but they were
still
workable. Thanks for your patience for making the QSOs!

The fun part of the contest was nearly around the clock ES-propagation
within
the EU area and Polar Path openings towards North America, Pacific and
Japan on
all three nights. The contest starts at 3 AM local time. Around that
time the 15
m band was still partly open towards North America and Japan! For
example during
Saturday/Sunday night I managed to log AH6KO, KH7M and KH6TU after the
local
midnight. I am really looking forward to the next solar cycle maximum to
see how
good this Polar Path propagation gets with more sunspots boosting the
density of
ionosphere F-layer.

The contest setup was FTdx5000 + OM2500A / 1.5 kW and 3 x Hy-Gain TH7DX.

Tnx for QSOs!
Jari OH6QU & OG6A
https://www.qrz.com/db/OH6QU/