NA QSO Party - "double QSO".

alan at dsd.es.com alan at dsd.es.com
Mon Aug 3 10:06:47 EDT 1992

--------

Jim, AD1C writes:

>In the strictest sense, a QSO must have the following information exchanged
>by both parties:
>
>	Your callsign
>	The other station's callsign
>	The report
>
>In the scenario above, you did not have a QSO with the 2nd station because
>you did not send his callsign.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I have had this happen to me a few times.
I treat these situations as an unexpected bonus most of the time. Most
contest rules do not specifiy that you must send the other stations call,
and most of the time I do not unless it is a necessity. Here is what you
hear on most weekends, both on CW and SSB:

CQ TEST ZA1A ZA1A TEST

K6XO

K6XO 599286

599048

TU ZA1A

Note that the only station that sent the other station's call was ZA1A.
The only contest that I can think of off hand where this QSO would not be
valid is the North American Sprint, where the rules specify that you must
send both the call of the station that you are working and your call along
with the number, name and QTH.

Alan, K6XO

alan at dsd.es.com