ARRL CW

Alan Brubaker alan at dsd.es.com
Thu Feb 20 07:14:02 EST 1992

>Tom Fisher writes:

>Where did all those OGs come from?  I must not be spending
>enough time at the rig these days.

      Those were just OHs in disguise. The Finns must be having
      some sort of celebration this year, but I do not know the
      details. It could have to do with the Olympics (OG; Olympic
      Games).

>Fantastic conditions!  About 180K points, 400+ contacts, 40-10m,
>19 hours on (according to ct).  Beat my previous record from '89.
>I even had a hilarious JA run on 40 Sunday morning.  Hilarious
>because my 40m dipole is all bent up in my attic along with
>the other dipoles, and I run the IC751 barefoot.  They must
>have their beams pointed right at Denver.

      There are still quite a few of us who do not have 40 meter
      beams. The sunrise openings into JA can be excellent, and
      as you found out, when conditions are this good it does not
      take much power or antenna to be heard well. I just barely
      beat my last year's score with fewer QSOs than last year.

>Worked three new countries: ZL7, SV1, and 4S.  I suspect the
>4S was the embassy in DC or something :-).  Maybe I miscopied
>the call.  No way my n-s dipole gets to 4S land.

      When propagation is this good, you can use a wet string 8^).

>As Alan pointed out, I got a lot of CIS logged at better than 200w,
>and JA with > 50w on 10m.
>Ah, oh yes, I also logged six Canadians.  Thank heaven I didn't
>dup 'em too.

      I heard lots of W's calling and working VC8?? whatever his
      call was in NWT. Some folks just do not understand the rules
      very well. I do not argue with them if they call me. I just
      work them and carry on, but I log it as a 0 point QSO.