TS 850 and that ilk

pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet at gte.com pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet at gte.com
Fri Feb 28 11:31:23 EST 1992

> Does anyone have any contest or other experience with:
> kenwood ts850, ts450, ts690(ts450 w/6mtrs)?
> what did ya think? ya know all the normal questions.
> geoiii
> wb5vzl

I have a TS850 and have used it for full time field day efforts (the primary
reason I bought the radio) and for a 10 hour effort in the ARRL CW a few weeks
ago. I used the 690 once and hated it. On phone it doesn't seem to put out
anywhere near 100W. On CW it is ok, but everything is too cramped and it is
missing somethings I want in a contest radio.

The 850 is a field day radio in a box - just add 12v, antenna, mike, and key,
and voila. It comes with a built-in 3 memory memory keyer (even though manual
makes it sound like you need to buy an option,) and the built in antenna tuner
works well. I put in the DVK option, which gives me a built-in three memory
DVK. It uses the usually Kenwood filters at both IFs, and is plug compatible
with my 830 cables for amps, foot switch, etc.

On CW it is a FB radio, with the quietest receiver I have heard. On SSB, you
have to be careful of overdriving it - with only 12V in the finals, you can't
bang as far into the ALC red-zone before severe distortion.

NEGATIVES:

1. The front panel is about the size of the 830, with a *lot* more buttons. It
is cramped for some controls, particularly the TF-SET for split operations. The
buttons are cheap feeling, and I'm not sure they will last.

2. BIG NEGATIVE - There is no center detent on the RIT control - yech. Since it
is a potentiometer, not an optically encoded deal. there is no CLEAR button and
it is impossible to get back to 0 hz offset. If you haven't gotten spoiled by
940/950 or FT-1000 radios that use "soft" knobs, it doesn't seem much worse
than the 830, but how much would a center detent have cost?

3. It is a 12V radio, which necessitates lugging around 12V. This is FB for FD,
which was my goal. For bring it along to a multi-op, it is a pain.

For a contest radio that will sit in the shack, I don't think the 850 or 450 is
the way to go - you'd be better of with a used (hi S/N) 930 or 940. Stay away
from the 690, K1DQV and others here have had problems and sent theirs back.

Anyone using the FT 990? I really liked the FT-1000.

John WB2EKK