EQUALISED DX Contest

Robert A. Wilson n6tv at vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 30 20:35:13 EST 1992

Rick,

The NCJ already has a cumulative ranking system called "The Single
Operator Championship" or something like that.  It ranks operators by
points vs. the top competitor in that contest.  I forget exactly how
it works, but I don't think it tries to compensate for geography.  You
have to participate full time for a solid year in almost all the major
contests, both phone and CW, to do well in this ranking.  No doubt the
operators listed there are outstanding, but some people are getting
left out.

No, I didn't mean "no change to station."  All I meant was that it had
to be made from the same address (or say, the same ARRL section), and
at the same power level, in order to qualify for the year-to-year
percentage ranking.  By all means, you are encouraged to improve your
antenna system, shack efficiency, and operator ability as much as
possible!

Long term rankings would be nice, but I prefer something that encourages
newcomers.  The thing I like about the improvement ranking is
that a novice to contesting can get top 10 recognition in his first
year, if he works hard and improves enough.  Something like that
might help a new person get hooked on contesting right away.

Trey has been pretty quiet on this subject.  Are we boring you Trey?

73,
Bob, N6TV