The Great Colorado Shootout, K0RF vs. AA6TT

price at cod.nosc.mil price at cod.nosc.mil
Thu Dec 2 16:10:34 EST 1993

Well, that was quite a shoot off, indeed.

However, if K0RF's station is in any way a "David," most of us are mere
ants in the garden of life!

73--Jim, K6ZH

From: georgen at redwood.stortek.com (George Noyes x5698) (George Noyes x5698)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 17:40:23 MST
Subject: cqww and ss ssb, W1XE/W0KEA

I've been out of reach of the reflector for the last week so here's
a two contest update:

ARRL Sweepstakes Phone

Station:  W1XE       Section:  Colorado      Class:   B
Op 24 Hrs,   Operator, W1XE, George
Location: Aspen Contest Station, Near Aspen, CO

Results:   1550 Qs x 77 Sections (Sweep)  ==>   238,700 points
(Raw score)

Comments:  10m stunk, but did at least get a few hrs on 10m
           Lots of VYs....
           Had to run "B" just to keep the shack warm...:-)
           Regrets: again not comming in top in CO
           (hey, its tough out here)

CQWW CW

Station: W0KEA  (Ops: W0KEA, W1XE, K0KR, W0UO)
Class: Multi-Single
Location: Aspen Contest Station, Near Aspen, CO

Results:

Band		Qs 	Z	C

160		 20	11	16
 80		105	25	54
 40		536	34     101
 20		515	36     109
 15		349	30	90
 10		 67	23	46
                --------------------
               1592    159     416     Est:  2.4 Million

Comments:  Terrible 10m conditions
           Certainly marginal conditions to Europe
           Challenging times to get to the site... (a bit o' snow)
           40m is considered to be our weakest station setup, guess
                 which station we needed this year......
           One computer died 1 hr before contest (instant fix time...)
           Lost one antenna tuner at 20 hrs (40m of course).
           Last equipment installed 5 min before beginning of contest..
           Wx:  12" snow, -10 degrees (Friday Morning)
           Good news: Phil won the toss and now needs to get more QSL cards...
           Yup, we had fun!  (oh Ya, no smoke.... :-)

Additionally, one spot in the road to the contest site has now been
           dubbed "George's trench...."

Most importantly: imported the CO op who beat me in SS the weekend before...

73 de George, W1XE (/0)   "That's Colorado, NOT Connecticut!"
email: georgen at redwood.stortek.com