call sign advantage?

horton_je%ncsd.dnet at gte.com horton_je%ncsd.dnet at gte.com
Thu Dec 16 13:48:10 EST 1993

K5ZD writes:

>Well, I would recommend against "Z" as a letter for phone.  Not enough
>choices for Phonetics.  Zulu, Zebra and Zanzibar (all two syllables) and
>you're done.

I live about a mile  from W3ZZ and can always hear W3 ZED ZED ...
everywhere I go on the air... And he very seldom is asked for a repeat..
In this area, I noticed that everyone  with a Z in the call never
identified on the air with just a plain Z.... It was always ZED..
I thought it was a rule to say ZED if you had a letter Z in your
call.

I have also travelled to Europe and noticed in several countries,
"ZED" is used for "Z" like we say "A" for the letter "A".. Maybe
adjusting the phonetic for where the opening is, changes the
advantage of some calls?

Jim
N3KTV
horton_je%ncsd.dnet at gte.com