Coding of Contest Entries to Show Power, Equipment, Antennas, GS

H. LAWRENCE SERRA 72750.3620 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Jun 9 11:14:55 EDT 1993

G4BUO wrote recently that a coding system is used for contest entries
in UK which classifies (I assume) power level, equipment, antennas,
grid square,etc. Then entrants can compare their results to stations
similarly configured without the need for handicapping, etc. Wouldn't
such info be useful for self-improvement and motivation if you could
pull up contest results of stations similarly configured? (e.g., how
many mults/hr did I work compared to other stations with 150W, dipole
@ 30ft, on for 12 hrs, etc.)

For the time being, without establishing handicapping rules or the
like, is there any reason we cannot employ standardized coding entries
on summary sheets for major ARRL and CQ contests, and have the info
available on BBS, or in coded form with published contest results in
mags? For example,

                 STANDARD CONTEST CODING SHEET
             (use leading 0s to fill unused spaces)

1.STATION CALL SIGN     _ _ _ _ _ _
2.CLASSIFICATION        _
     (1=S/O;
      2=S/O assist.;
      3=M-O;
      4=M-O,M-T)
3.FINAL SCORE PTS       _ _,_ _ _,_ _ _
4.NR QSOs               _ _ _ _
5.NR BAND-MULTS         _ _ _
    (or sects)
6.HOURS OPERATED        _ _._
	(tenths)
7.OUTPUT PWR            _
     (A=150W or less;
      B=grtr than 150W;
      Q=5W or less)
8.ANTENNAS (for each ant)
			1	2	3
	a. TYPE         _       _       _
            (1=DIPOLE
             2=YAGI
             3=QUAD
             4=OTHER)
	b. NR ELEMENTS  _ _     _ _      _ _
	c. HGT ABV GND  _ _     _ _      _ _
            (10s of FT)
9. MAIDENHEAD GRID SQ   _ _ _ _
10.QTH ELEV ABV S/L     _ _._
    (1000s of ft,
      to 1/10s)

The mags could print a standard fill-in-the-box sheet, and the computer
contest programs could include the coding sheet info on each summary
sheet. Is this too much work for contestants and contest authorities?

Larry N6AZE