24 Hour Contest

NB7241000-LondonSMDR230524 n2ic at bighorn.dr.att.com
Mon Mar 1 12:27:17 EST 1993

Let's face it - having a 24 hour category isn't going to increase the
level of activity significantly.  The 24 hour category is simply a way
to allow serious contesters who can't handle 48 hours (for whatever
reason) to compete seriously.

If you insist on having a 24 hour category, it should definitely be a
contiguous 24 hours.  Let's not have the winners of this category dominated by
east coast stations who choose to operate only during the EU runs.

I don't see why a 24 hour category should have a designated starting time.
Let everyone choose their own starting time.  Part of the game should be
to plan your strategy considering:

1) Is propagation expected to improve or degrade over the next 48 hours ?
2) Do I want to wait until the 2nd night when the pileups will be smaller ?
3) Do I want to be "fresh meat" on Sunday AM for the hungry Europeans ?
4) Is the JA/Monday AM problem going to hurt me near the end of the contest ?
5) Do I want to have two high band EU run possibilities ?

etc., etc.

Steve, N2IC/0