Kenwood filters

Charlie Ocker Ocker at KD5PJ.dseg.ti.com
Wed Mar 3 17:00:44 EST 1993

The hf xcvr at K5OJI is a late model 940.  The club decided to purchase
the IRCI (ex-Fox Tango) first and second if 400 Hz cw filters.  These
were a little less expensive than the stock Kenwood pair.

The difference between the two filter pairs is not so much the bandwidth
of the filters, but the slope.

In our "serious" multi-singles, Dwaine, N5HD brings in his 940 for the
second station.  His 940 has a higher serial number and stock Kenwood cw
filter pair.

With HD's 940, I can hear all those stations who call off freq.  This is
nice.  With the club's 940, I can snuggle right up to one of those Real
Contest Stations (W3LPL, N5AU, etc, etc) and not have the rx fold.  This
is nice, too.

On the bad side, with HD's 940, I can't get too close to one of the Real
Contest Stations.  With the club's 940, I have to use the rit all the
time.

I prefer the IRCI filtered 940.  Some of our ops feel the opposite.
They prefer to hear all those other stations without twiddling the rit.
Since I always use the rit, it is no problem for me.

It all comes down to what you want.  If having razor sharp selectivity
is important but you don't mind using the rit, go with the sharper IRCI
filters.  If you can stand all that crud that creeps in due to the wider
filter slopes and don't like to leave your hand on the rit, go with the
Kenwood.

73,
Charlie  KD5PJ			ocker at kd5pj.dseg.ti.com
Texas Instruments ARC K5OJI