160 receiving antennas?

mikemr at microsoft.com mikemr at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 3 20:53:40 EST 1993

In the recent CQWW 160 (SSB) contest, I used a balloon-supported
end-fed 1/2-wave vertical. About 80% of the QSOs I made during the
first night of the contest (I bagged the second night) commented
how loud my signal was. I was using about 1kW PEP with speech
compression. The antenna had no ground system other than three
ten-foot ground rods.

The unfortunate part is that locals were calling me saying, "You
have 4 or 5 guys calling you, can't you hear them?" No I couldn't
with S9+ noise level. I think I finally solved most of the problems
 receiving is a
different story. I kluged-up a shielded loop before the second
night, but it didn't resonate.

I'm very interested in 160 receiving antenna designs that you've
used, other than the obvious ultimate, the Beverage. They have to
fit in a tiny backyard on a 9000-foot tiny city lot! Thanks

73    Mike    N6MZ    mikemr at microsoft.com