Xcvrs

Obermann Mark obermann_mark at macmail1.rtsg.mot.com
Thu Mar 4 16:36:33 EST 1993

I still really like the 930, but if I won the lotto, the next radio would be
the FT1000D.  It has excellent performance in many areas and only a few
drawbacks.  I suspect that the higher end radios in the near future will start
utilizing DSP at the higher IF frequencies, thus improving performance and
filtering flexibility even more.  The key for contesters is to get a very high
performance radio with well thought out knob/control placement.
Since I'll be holding on to my 930 for awhile, I was curious if there are any
good mods to reduce the phase noise generated in the PLL.  I have tried slowing
down the loop with an extra filter capacitor, but the difference is slight.
Also, does anyone have those experimental 44.93 MHz first IF filters that FT or
IRI produced a few years back?  I am interested in trying one of these.

73,
Mark - AG9A
obermann_mark at macmail1.rtsg.mot.com