ARRL SSB

sellington sellington at mail.ssec.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 8 12:20:53 EST 1993

Writes Tom, WB4IUx:

>3.  Some contest expeditioners still think its good practice to repeatedly
     ignore "what's your call?" requests when a good run is going...fact is,
     if guys are having to ask REPEATEDLY then you're not giving your call
     enough and you may be losing QSO's from the casual operator.  With
     short contest calls, you call say your callsign in less than 1 second
>and
     make your customers (the stateside stations you want to get in your
     log) very happy.  To me, you should never go more than 3 QSO's
     without giving your call -- that's about 30 seconds in a good run and
>not
     too long to wait.

-----
I couldn't agree more.  If I don't hear a call after about 3 contacts, I
work him and ask for the call.  If it's  dupe, that's not my fault.  I haven't
had anyone refuse to tell me the call after I worked him, but if anyone
does, he'll probably get another call later.  The top logs ARE checked against
others, so if enough of us don't get these guys' calls in our logs, some
of them should get disqualified.

Heard several times during the contest:  "How am I suppose to know whether
I've already worked you?"

Scott    K9MA