Power, Antennas and stuff

Mike Taylor mtaylor at seg21.cigseg.rtsg.mot.com
Wed Mar 10 14:37:03 EST 1993

Peter writes:
> Since we have only six over two on 10 - 20 (unlike 5 over 5 or more)
> and are running Alpha 87's (1.5KW) we cant compete against the New
Englanders
> who run illegal power (some approaching 10 Kilowatts) with large
arrays.
> How common is this experience? Should be start discussing the ideas
of shorter
> contest periods? How about power classes? how about handicaps? More
info!

I couldn't agree more with George's (Wb5VZL) response.

It's more fun being the underdog.  I would rather win one contest by
superior operating and ingenious station engineering than to win all
contests that I enter just because of location and money spent. OK,
maybe not, but this is the mindset you must have when yuou don't hold
all the cards.  Let's face it, 90% or more of us will never be at the
best station in the optimal location to win CQWW for SS from.  If
appearing  at the top of the standings box is so important to you,
analyze all contests compared to your location and your station
capabilities to determine which contest(s) and catagories  you have
the best chance of winning. Optimize your station and skills to this
contest.  Then operate that contest every time to build your skill and
knowledge of the contest. Also, if you operate every runnning of the
contest you may run across conditions in one of them that favor you!
 Follow this line of thinking and you may just win that contest some
day!

Believe me, the feeling of beating an excellent op operating from a
multi-tower station from my city lot with 45 foot tower and tribander
station is great, especially when it is accomplished thru better
operating and excellent station engineering.  Strive for the small
gains in the station and before you know it the net gain will be
appreciable.  I believe that it is harder to engineer a good small
station than a good big station.  Many contesters with small lots
don't even come close to maximizing the potential of their station.
Read all there is on station engineering and adapt those ideas to your
station.  Analyze all aspects of your station to maximize performance.
 Those dBs add up you know!

I have had pretty good luck in domestic contests the last few years
running only 600 watts (GASP!) from a sick SB220 and non-computer
controlled TS-830 from my small city lot here in the Black Hole.  I
spend all of my time and money (very little) making my antenna system
and station as efficient and as well suited for domestic contests as
possible.

Do all of this and someday the guy with "only" 6 over 6 will beat the
guy with 5 over 5 over 5 over 5.  And you will have a much better
feeling of accomplishment if this is done through improving your
operating and other aspects of your station rather than throwing money
at the problem.

Mike AC9C
mtaylor at mnc.mot.com