half-time contests

Jim Hollenback jholly at hpmpea2.cup.hp.com
Fri Mar 19 13:14:27 EST 1993

Doug brought up a very good point about the 'top-guns' working
two 24-hour contests and getting first and second.  I only wondered
if they would work harder next year to beat themself! Of course this
would merely become a new battle ground for the super station and
'top-gun' operator and the sunday driver would be left in the dust.
So what would that gain? nothing that I can see.  Personally myself
I doubt I ever will be in the top 10...I don't have the station,
I get sleepy early saturaday morning, etc.  I start the contest with
a goal in mind ... beat my last year score, beat my buddy, beat a club
member, work DXCC in a weekend, work a new one, work a new one on
band/mode, see my call a little higher on the standings, etc.  Yes,
my goals don't put a plaque on the wall, but I HAVE FUN.

That, I think, is what it is all about.. HAVE FUN. With that in mind,
not having your name in the box really is not a big deal.  I think
on can make what every they want out of the contest.  If you want
a certificate, make one for reaching your goal.  Or like Tree said,
sponsor the contest.

  Jim Hollenback   jholly at cup.hp.com

  Telnet: 447-0725
  HPMAIL: HPG200/18