Field Day - Free VHF/UHF Station

n2ic at cheeta.uucp n2ic at cheeta.uucp
Thu Mar 25 12:10:38 EST 1993

Take a look at this one:

QST de W1AW
ARRL Bulletin 31  ARLB031
>From ARRL Headquarters Newington CT
March 23, 1993
Relayed by KB8NW/OBS & BARF-80 BBS
To all radio amateurs

SB QST ARL ARLB031
ARLB031 New FD bonus

New Bonus Points For Field Day

An additional 100 bonus points can be earned by qualified
participants in Field Day for completing at least ten VHF/UHF QSOs
(excluding packet contacts).  Also a ''free'' VHF/UHF transmitter has
been added for Class A and Class B stations.  This station can
operate the entire Field Day period, just like the ''free '' packet
and satellite transmitters.  Take a few minutes to look at VHF/UHF
(item 9) under the bonus points in the official Field Day Rules in May
QST.  It's an ideal station for Technicians to operate since they
have full privileges on these bands. Make sure your club or group
invites everyone to fully participate in Field Day.

I know that the intent of the rule change is to bring no-coders into
contesting, and other parts of "mainstream" ham radio, but this change is
of no value outside of the densely populated areas.  Out here, after the
first 15 minutes of the contest, the VHF/UHF operators will be bored out
of their minds.

Since the written rules aren't out yet, I can speculate about a few problems:

  Will FM operation be allowed on any frequencies ?  How about repeaters ?
  Will simplex operation be allowed on repeater input/output frequencies ?
  I can just imagine what 146.52 will sound like in the NY/NJ area !

On the cynical side, I guess you east coasters are tired of not being able
to win every category, due to the geographical advantage enjoyed by the west
in domestic contests.  Well, this ought to solve the problem for you - 500+
VHF QSO's.  Now you can return to your rightful place in the top-10 in
every contest - DX and domestic !

Enough whining !

Steve, N2IC/0