DX Engineering 3 El 40 Yagis

Steve Fraasch Steve_Fraasch at ATK.COM
Sun Mar 28 10:42:44 EST 1993

Can anyone advise Mark, K0KX, and I on the survivability of the DX Engineering
40DX-3, 3 element 40m yagi?  We'd like to buy, rather than build, since their
price seems quite reasonable compared to starting from scratch.  We want to
hear from those who've attended the "antenna school of hard knocks."  So far,
Kx's 6 el 20m has held up great (~60 MPH wind, 2 ice storms), but we've heard
that the 40m yagi is not as robust.

Although I've used MININEC extensively for finding mutual, self impedances of
yagis and phased arrays, I've always wanted to get ground effect for elevated,
or over water verts (my land is all swamp) which can only be done with NEC (
MININEC only gives choice between perfect electrically conducting ground, or
free space for solving integral equation), or custom method of moments.  I
have a copy of MS-DOS executable "NEEDS" (NEC w/ user interface), and the
FORTRAN source code, which I'd like to compile on a HP-750 workstation.
Eventually, I may convert it to C, but I'd rather get the FORTRAN version
working first, but I've not yet attempted to compile it.  Has anyone tried ?

73, Steve, K0SF

Please reply to:

Steve_Fraasch at gateway1.ATK.COM