busted calls

ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com
Mon Mar 29 09:00:21 EST 1993

the discussion on buster calls sounds either academic or cynical, my limited
experience is that most are very willing to have you repeat your call even
five times to get it right.  the question is what do you do when a real life
problem occurs?  for example, on 10 meters to a JA station (from CA) with
very poor propagation in WPX (with NO QRM but some language problem) we had
gone thru prefix, number, and complete call several times to get it right
and the fading became excessive.  He thought he had my call correct but one
letter was still wrong.  somehow this does not fit in with the context of
earlier discussions, but am sure it must happen to others.  what to do???

packetcluster was certianly very active it seems, and it was surprising to
see a number of stations move into very small pikeups with a "rare" station,
give their call for the first time, ask who they are working, and then act
surprised when the DX station asks for the number, has to explain that it
is a contest, and then the rude abuse from the hi-powered stateside DXer.
at least the typical hi-powered contest Lid will move along quickly after
stepping on everyone.  last, a VK station said they have lots of 24 hr
contests down-under.

alan N2ALE/6