Call for opinions: 9913 vs. CQ-FLEXI

Scott E. Parker SLP9M at CC.USU.EDU
Tue May 4 18:48:03 EDT 1993

There's no "right" answer to this question, but I'd like to hear some
experience-based opinions.

According to my sources (ARRL Antenna book for 9913, Certified Communications
propaganda sheet for CQ-FLEXI) both Belden 9913 and Certified Quality 9913
equivalent have the same attenuation at 50 MHz.  (I need a run for HF.  I
haven't looked at the slope of the FLEXI curve to see if it matches that of
9913.  50 MHz seemed a good common data point for my applicaion.)  I conclude
that as far as attenuation is concerned, there is no advantage to using
CQ-FLEXI.  From what I've found out so far, the best price I can get on
CQ-FLEXI is about $0.14/ft more than the best price I can get on genuine Belden
9913.  So, now the question for the experienced - is the extra 14 cents per
foot worth the added flexibility (and any other advantage the Certified Quality
product may hold over Belden)?

73, WA7VYJ