ss scores

K6LL at delphi.com K6LL at delphi.com
Sun Nov 14 12:48:14 EST 1993

Hello everyone, I just got on this net. Does anyone have a compilation of
cw Sweepstakes scores? I would appreciate a copy. Thanks in advance. Dave,
K6LL.

From: Ward Silver <hwardsil at sumax.seattleu.edu> (Ward Silver)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 14:14:20 -0800
Subject: 70th Anniv. of 1st DX QSO

Please spread the word that this year's CQWW CW contest falls on the anniver-
sary of the very first Transatlantic QSO by Leon DeLoy, f8AB, and two American
hams, John Reinartz, 1XAM, and K.B. Warner, 1MO (operating with Fred Schnell).
That's right, the contest begins only 2 hours and 30 minutes before the exact
time at which f8AB began transmitting across the Atlantic at 9:30 Eastern
Time, 27 November 1923.  When you fire up at 0000Z, take a look around at the
gear and reflect on how far we've come in 70 years.

>From "200 Meters and Down" by Clinton DeSoto:
    "The night of November 27, 1923.  Both Schnell [Fred H. Schnell, ARRL
Traffic Mgr.] and Reinartz were on the air.  Schnell had secured special
permission from the Supervisor of Radio at Boston to use the 100-meter
wavelength, and everything was in readiness.  At the stroke of 9:30 the
strangely-stirring 25-cycle gar-gle from 8AB came on the air.  For an hour [an
hour!] he called America, then sent two more messages.  At 10:30 he signed
off, asking for an acknowledgement.  Long calls from 1MO and 1XAM and then ...
there he was, asking Reinartz to stand by [the first DX pileup...], and saying
to Schnell, "R R QRK UR SIGS QSA VY ONE FOOT FROM PHONES ON GREBE FB OM HEARTY
CONGRATULATIONS THIS IS FINE DAY MIM PSE QSL NR 1 2" ... American and European
amateurs were working for the first time, with strong signals, and to Deloy,
after a year's constant and unremitting effort, it was a fine day!"

Are there any French contesters on the reflector?  How about activating the
old F8AB call for the contest?

See you from KH6!
73, Ward N0AX