Multi-Rig Audio

ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com
Fri Nov 19 12:55:09 EST 1993

Now here's an area I've started doing some experimentation, and
where we have seen some information over the reflector.  What I'm
doing is not low budget, but seems to make some sense (to me).
A standard unit to inerface two radios and several people is an
aircraft intercom.  So having deferred my flying lessons, I decided to
pickup a Flightcom IIId Intercom with a 32 second Digital Clearance
Recorder.  Of course it's stereo and has input/output for a tape
recorder and can take 4 headsets for the configuration I have.  It
works quite well for CW.  For Phone, well there's the problem.
	The David Clark headsets have a different kind of mike
element, and these are all used with aircraft AM VHF radios.  The
electret mike is clearly more sensitive than a Heil HC-4, a gain
issue.  The intercom applies an 8 volt bias to the HC-4 and has
a 1 k-ohm resistor in series, according to Flightcom.  They will not
provide schematics or details on the design.  A similar bias is
applied in the output to my rig.  As a result, the output is nil.
The logical next step is to try AC coupling thru a series capicator.
after that, perhaps buffer OP amps on input an output.  This is quite
a small package electronically (hi density), so this is more than
tacking on a few leads on a large piece of electronic real estate.
	Has anyone used such an intercom?  Has anyone made such a
modification?  Has anyone progressed to the point where they are
using BOTH pilot and  co-pilot mike jacks?  Has anone figured out
how to use the DCR as a DVP?  I think this thing has a lot of
potential, I just haven't gotten very far, so far.

73, alan N2ALE/6