SO vs. SOA

jsteinman at aol.com jsteinman at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 17:48:39 EDT 1994

Barry, W2UP, said:

>For a limited operation (hours, station, etc.) I agree that packet is
>usually an advantage. But when operating full-tilt, I think packet is a
>major distraction (credit to K3WW for coining the catagory >"single-op
>distracted"). I find it really screws up the rhythm, and makes you >think
>twice risking losing a run to chase a mult., especially during the
>first 24 hours.

I would have to agree with K5GN, that an operator with the same station and
propagation, should ALWAYS have a higher score SOA vs. SO. If not, then
something is wrong !!!!!
Yes, you might have fewer QSO's SOA vs. SO, but that difference should be FAR
offset by the extra number of multipliers you pick-up from packet (especially
in CQWW). I think setting up the station for maximization of two radios is
the key to minimizing lost QSOs while maximizing multipliers. If you are only
using one rig, best to maximize those EU runs (which we won't have for
another 3-4 years down here !).

73
KR0Y

jsteinman at aol.com