Helvetia Contest Rules, Please

HOAGLIN at HUSC15.HARVARD.EDU HOAGLIN at HUSC15.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Apr 20 11:16:45 EDT 1994

Does anyone have the current rules for the Helvetia Contest?
The announcements in QST and CQ are rather brief, and they list
different addresses for submitting logs.  I'd like at least to have
the correct address.

Please reply directly to  dave_hoaglin at abtassoc.com .  Thanks.

73,

Dave, K8JLF

From: Joel B Levin <levin at BBN.COM> (Joel B Levin)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 11:17:22 -0400
Subject: FT-1000 audio corrections

|In fact, I have two fundamental problems with the FT-1000 audio.  Number one
|is the inadequate power that is available, but number two is a little more
|subtle.  When I use good quality headphones (and most of them have similar
|sensitivities) I would expect the gain distribution to be set up so that
|the volume from the headphones is similar to the volume from the speaker
|for a given volume control setting.  But this is not the case with the
|FT-1000.  In order to get a volume similar to the speaker's volume from the
|headphones requires that the  volume control be advanced by about another
|120 degrees!  So the total power available is inadequate AND the gain of the
|headphone amp is inadequate.

Thanks for this information; it probably explains a similar problem
I have with my FT-990:  I crank up the volume when I use headphones,
otherwise it's too low.  But since the sidetone is at a fixed audio
level which does not rise with the volume control, it is much harder
to hear when I'm using it for zero beating or when I'm operating QSK.

Fortunately my shack is now in a separate part of the house so I
usually don't use headphones any more.

|(For those without an FT-1000, you cannot just use the speaker output as
|a source of high level audio, since the speaker output is mono and the
|dual receivers drive headphones in stereo.)

On the other hand, maybe I should just try the speaker output, since
the 990 only has one audio channel.

	73 / JBL   KD1ON