SCREW-IN GUY ANCHORS:

bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com
Tue Aug 16 14:11:04 EDT 1994

Responding to Phil, N6ZZ regarding Screw-in Anchors:

I'm using 3 1/2' x 6" Rohn screw anchors from Texas Towers to guy 70'
of 25G. I used 3-hole equalizer plates (EP25343) to attach 2 sets of guys.
My soil is better than what is considered "normal" according to a local
commercial rigger I contacted (I assume they should know!).

I had the same concerns as you and contacted a gentleman in the Rohn
Engineering Dept. who pointed out that these anchors have been removed
from their catalog! He said that they still sell them because of demand
but no longer recommend their use (do I detect liability problems/concerns?).
With persistance, I was able to get a pull-out rating of 4000 lbs from them
which is a close match for 3/16" 7-strand cable. They reiterated that this
is the rated tensile strength of the rod member which can be taken to be
equivalent to pull-out rating ONLY if:

    1. Soil is normal or better with proper drainage.

    2. Anchor is screwed into the ground fully.

    3. Properly sized/strength attachment bolts are used.

On my first try, I was only able to get the anchors in about halfway before
hitting large rocks. I did succeed in breaking some cartilege in my chest
with a resounding "pop" though and nearly scared myself to death!

NOTE: use at least a 5' bar and several helpers to screw the darn things in.

After healing up and rethinking whether I should pour concrete, one year later
I succeeded in screwing in the anchors as far as possible (less than 6" above
ground). With the Rohn equalizers and hefty galvanized bolts
(3/4 " cl 5 at the anchor), the installation looks pretty good. Antennas yet
to go up are stacked KT-34XAs, with a bearing on top of the mast holding up
one end of an 80m wire yagi.

One more note: Someone advised me to soak the area around each anchor with
a hose for a few days prior to screwing them in but Rohn Strongly advised
against this practice.

I'm now satisfied with my installation but I'll let you know how it holds
up after next springs rains/wind!! I know several hams who DIDN'T screw
them in all the way who got mighty scared when they started to pull out...

73 de Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq at paonline.com)