[cvanhoor@bcm2a02.attmail.com: KG9N/C6A trip review]

Chuck Van Hoorn cvanhoo at heartland.bradley.edu
Thu Aug 25 14:18:31 EDT 1994

    From: cvanhoor at bcm2a02.attmail.com (cvanhoor)
    To: cvanhoo at heartland.bradley.edu
    Subject: KG9N/C6A trip review
    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 17:00:38 -0400

    I wanted to do a trip review and thank everyone who worked me
    and put out the packet spots. Those sure can generate activity
    are a lot of fun from the DX end!

    The trip started at 1200 GMT Aug 3rd from Bloomington, Illinois
    and arrived at Treasure Cay Bahamas 2050 GMT.(minus our luggage which we
    recieved two days after we arrived back in Illinois) The trip proved to
    exciting as the ride from Florida to Treasure Cay involved a beat up twin
    engine plane with the radar working intermittently with thunderstorms
    everywhere...Coming home we circled over the Atlantic for an hour as Miami
    was closed due to a thunderstorm..How long can those little planes stay in the
    air anyway?.. ( Yes this was a commerical Flight.. an eight passenger plane)..

    The operation took place from the QTH of N4JQQ.(Steve is a great guy as does a
    nice job with his villa) Great beach, water, & fish. No crouds or TVI. We had
    the ocean to ourselves. The antenna was an R7 vertical (mounted 7 feet above
    ground) and the radio was a Kenwood TS450. (This was Steve's radio as mine was
    hit by lightning the day before we left on the trip.. I'm still fixing things
    at home).. The location was great, about a minute walk from the beach, looking
    over seawater for Europe and the States.

    All operations were early early morning and late night. I enjoyed the water
    with the family during the day and the radio at night..I was beat when I got
    home!... The first contact was with N8FU at 2150 gmt Aug3 on 14mhz cw. The
    first South America was PY2OC. The first Europe was UR5LM. First Japan was
    JR1TNI and the first pacific was VK9NS ..(long path on 20!) The final
    QSO was with KC5FQX at 1138 GMT Aug 9.

    The solar flux never got above 76 but fortunatly the A index stayed at 1.
    I found propagation to be good even with the solar flux so low. I had one
    sporadic E opening on 10 meters that went acrross the east coast as far west
    as Colorado. This was fun as I was the first C6A for some novices and
    even a couple of stations first DX. What Fun!! My best hour for phone
    was 197 (20 meters) and on cw 181 (also 20 meters). I also enjoyed a nice JA
    opening on 40 CW.

    I spent time in the NA QSO party, the 10-10 international contest, and the
    YO dx contest. (no wonder K4VX never let me operate I can not stay on task!)
    I found the rates in the contest (NA QSO PARTY) to be slower than the rest of
    the week. I think a good operator good have produced a fine score in the NA
    QSO party as 10 was open from down there and I was able to QSY stations from
    10 meters to 40 meters for some quick mults and qso's. I was never able to get
    anyone to answer my cq on 10 though. Since I was not interested in S&Ping I
    did not ask many stations to QSY. I could hear many stations on 80 but only
    WW2Y, K4IQJ, AND K8SVT could hear me. I enjoyed the NA QSO party but
    found my CW skills were not what they needed to be.

    Here is a breakdown of my QSO's for the trip:

                    Phone   CW
    10 meters       163     5
    12 meters       2       0
    15 meters       3       22
    20 meters       361     457
    30 meters       n/a     288
    40 meters       1       719
    80 meters       0       3

    total           530     1491

    Total QSO's...2021 (26% phone .. 74% cw)

    Lessons learned:

    1. Check the designation on your bags as the agent marks them.. Ours
       we marked incorrectly by American and we never recieved our luggage
       the entire trip.

    2. Carry on everything you need..See number 1..

    3. The only things you really need are radio equipment, dive equipment,
       and swim suit..See number two..

    4. Only fly Airways international if you have a good heart.

    We all had a great time even without luggage and thanks again for working
    me!

    73 & DX

    Chuck
    KG9N