Worked All CA Counties/CQP

zf8bs at twg.com zf8bs at twg.com
Sun Aug 28 13:45:48 EDT 1994

Since I posted the 1994 California QSO Party announcement last week,
several people have sent me email asking about the "Worked All
California Counties" Award I mentioned.  My apologies to all for
the incomplete explanation.  The WACC program is sponsored by the
Northern California Contest Club; winners receive a nicely frame-
able piece of wallpaper to show they have managed to find all 58
California counties.  Since some of these counties can barely
manage to operate a post office, getting all 58 would normally be
a fairly difficult feat.  But we do get all 58 on the air for CQP,
so for one weekend a year it's attainable.  Last year 17 top ops
(outside of CA) managed to get them all.  Here are the rules:

W.A.C.C. Rules:
1.  Contacts may be made on any amateur radio band or mode.  (No
    repeater or digipeater contacts allowed.)
2.  QSL cards for contacts made on or after October 1, 1987 may be
    submitted for the W.A.C.C. award.
3.  A QSL card must be presented for each of the 58 counties.
4.  Each QSL card must have the county claimed, printed or written, on
    the card by the person issuing the card.
5.  All your contacts must be made from the same county.
6.  Portable and Mobile units may be worked.
7.  You do not have to be a member of the NCCC.
8.  Your QSL cards will be returned with the W.A.C.C. Award.
9.  Send your application and 58 cards and $3 or 10 IRC's (to cover
    expenses) to:
          NCCC W.A.C.C. Award
          c/o K. O. Anderson, K6PU
          P.O. Box 853
          Pine Grove, CA 95665

For anybody who might have missed the original announcement, here's a
repeat.  We did manage to get this run in the September QST (even though
this "family" journal managed to edit out all references to our decadent
practice of giving wine to the winners).  Note also the T-shirt award;
that didn't make it either.  And nothing made it into CQ, despite our
best efforts.

                    1994 California (CA) QSO Party (CQP)
              Sponsored by the Northern California Contest Club

Begins:  1600 UTC - 1 October 1994  Ends:  2200 UTC - 2 October 1994

OBJECT:  Stations outside of California work as many California
         stations in as many CA counties as possible.  Stations
         in California work anyone.

EXCHANGE:  California stations send QSO number and county.  Stations
         outside of California send QSO number and State, Province,
         or Country.

QSO POINTS:  Each complete non-duplicate Phone contact is worth 2
         points.  Each complete non-duplicate CW contact is worth 3
         points.   No partial contact credit.  Duplicate contacts
         must be clearly identified in log.

MULTIPLIERS:  California stations count states (50) and Canadian
         Provinces (VO/VE1-7 and YV1/VE8) for a possible total of
         58.  All others use California counties for a maximum of
         58.  CA stations on a county line may be claimed as a
         multiplier for any or all of the counties they give in
         their exchange.  Number each multiplier as worked.

SCORE:   The total score is the total number of QSO points multi-
         plied by the total number of multipliers  (58 Maximum).

FREQUENCIES:  160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, and 2 Meters.  WARC band
         contacts do not count.  Suggest CW on 1805 and 40 kHz up
         from band edge.  Phone on 1850, 3850, 7230, 14250, 21300,
         and 28450 KHz.  Novices 10 kHz up from band edge and
         28450.  Try CW on the half hour.  Try 160 meters at 0500
         UTC;   80/75 meters at 0300 and 0700 UTC.  Try 147.54 MHz
         at 2000, 0000, and 0400 UTC.

CLASS ENTRY:  Single Operator, Multi-Single, Multi-Multi,
         California County Expedition, Mobile, and Novice/Tech.
         Single Operator entries limited to 24 hours maximum; off
         times must be clearly marked in the log and be a minimum
         of 15 minutes.  Multi-Operator entries may operate the
         full 30 hours.  Stations may be worked once on CW and once
         on Phone per band.  Single Operator and Multi-Single
         entries are allowed only one transmitting signal.  All CW
         contacts must be made in the CW sub-band except for 160
         Meters.  MCW is not permitted.  All contacts must be
         simplex.  California stations that change counties are
         considered to be a new station and may be contacted again
         for point and multiplier credit.  California stations
         operating on a county line may be counted only as one QSO.

ENTRIES:  All logs and signed summary sheets must be submitted to:
         NCCC, c/o Ken Anderson, K6PU, Box 853, Pine Grove, CA 95665.
         Entries may be submitted in CT Version 8 or 9 format with
         .SUM and .ALL files on 5 1/4 or 3 1/2 diskettes (no 2.88M
         diskettes) with a signed hard copy summary sheet.  Label
         each diskette with call entry category and state/county/
         province/country.  All entries must be postmarked no later
         than 15 November 1994.  Please include $1.00 for results
         if desired.

         Entries with 100 or more QSO's qualify for the special
         CQP T-shirt; please include your size (L/XL) and $8 if
         you qualify and would like this special award.  Entries
         of 200 or more QSOs must include duplicate check lists.
         For a CQP paperwork package containing log and summary
         sheets, county abbreviations, and contest records send
         a business size SASE to the above address.

AWARDS: Certificates - To top Single Op entry in each CA county,
        state, province, country, and stations with 100 or more QSOs.

        Trophies - To top three non CA Single Op entries, top three
        CA Single Op, top CA Multi Single, top CA Multi Multi, top
        Single and Multi Op CA County expeditions, the Mobile
        (multi-county) Single Op and Multi Op with the most QSOs.

        Special CQP Wine Award - The top 20 CA and top 20 non-CA
        Single Op operators will receive a personalized bottle of
        NCCC Private Reserve California Wine.  Winners under the
        age of 21 will receive a non-alcoholic personalized award.

        Special Awards - To the CA and non-CA Single Ops with the
        most QSOs, the most CW QSOs, the most Phone QSOs, to the
        top CA and non-CA Single Op low power entries (200 watts
        or less output), to the top CA and non-CA Single Op Novice/
        Technician entries, to the top scorer outside of the USA
        and Canada, and to the top club in California (5 entries
        minimum - NCCC and SCCC are ineligible).
Bruce Sawyer, AA6KX