2 letters

NF8R at delphi.com NF8R at delphi.com
Mon Dec 5 09:42:42 EST 1994

Before we (contesters) start cheering the FCC for enforcing the rules
in reference to 2 letter ID's , let us remember that virtually all
contesters break the rule by failure to identify on each QSO. The rule says at the end of a QSO and when during a run we just say QRZ to improve our rate
this is a rule violation. While not as serious as 2 letter ID's since unless
the 2 letter IDer gets through nobody ever knows who they are, I have heard
contest stations during good runs that only ID every 4 or 5 calls.If the
FCC starts "strict interpretation" of the rules, we'll all be in trouble
or at minimum our rates will suffer.Ironically, in my opinion all this huff
about IDing is bunk, since I doubt the fact that anybody will ID during
a serious rule violation, and even if they did I doubt it would be
enough to convict them on another charge. Besides, how often do any
of the other FCC licensees ever ID ? I have seen TV stations go for hours
and most 2 way radio users (commercial) only ID at the base station or
repeater level.
Dave NF8R

NF8R at DELPHI.COM