Contest/DXpedition Radios

wmhein at aol.com wmhein at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 11:39:52 EST 1994

I have seen a new version of the Icom IC-737 advertised in JA1ELY's excellent
Japanese DX magazine, 59.  The Japanese model number is the IC-736.
Unfortunately, I cannot read most of the ad copy (it's in Japanese).  I THINK
the radio has the following features beyond what is in the IC-737 version
currently sold stateside:

* vox
* 6 meters (50w?)
* RF gain control
* 200v AC internal power supply
* ALC meter
* SWR meter

Now, if this baby also has a Beverage antenna input, provisions for VHF/UHF
transverters, and adjustable CW pitch, it'll be a monster, especially for
DXpedition and contest expedition use.

I called Icom America regarding this rig.  Predictably, they've never heard
of it...

-----

Regarding the Yaesu FT-890, it's a nice little box.  Chip K7JA brought one
out to my station when he operated SS CW from here in 1992.  If it only it
had (a) Beverage antenna input, (b) 6 meters, (c) adjustable CW pitch, and
(d) transverter capability, it, too, would be a killer.

-----

Someday, someone will build a subminiature transceiver with world-class
contest/DXpedition features and performance.  I predict they will be shocked
by how well it sells.

73
Bill AA6TT
wmhein at aol.com

>From slay at netcom.com (Sandy Lynch)  Fri Feb  4 19:27:31 1994
> I have seen a new version of the Icom IC-737 advertised in JA1ELY's excellent
> Japanese DX magazine, 59.  The Japanese model number is the IC-736.
> Unfortunately, I cannot read most of the ad copy (it's in Japanese).  I THINK
> the radio has the following features beyond what is in the IC-737 version
> currently sold stateside:
>
> * vox
> * 6 meters (50w?)
> * RF gain control
> * 200v AC internal power supply
> * ALC meter
> * SWR meter
>
> Now, if this baby also has a Beverage antenna input, provisions for VHF/UHF
> transverters, and adjustable CW pitch, it'll be a monster, especially for
> DXpedition and contest expedition use.
>
> I called Icom America regarding this rig.  Predictably, they've never heard
> of it...

Well - for anyone interested, here's a bit more info:
I am also looking over the two page ad in the January issue of the
Japanese CQ Ham Radio magazine.  Let me give you a couple of notes on
this thing.  Please be aware that model numbers are not always identical
between Japan and export models (e.g. IC-780 vs IC-781).
Also, it is not surprising, nor particularly a bad thing that ICOM
America does NOT know about this rig. After all,
wouldnÕt you want all the bugs worked out in their domestic market before it hits
the USA shores?  ;-)

Anyway, the IC-736 comes in three basic models:
IC-736 100 watt unit.  238K yen
IC-736M 50 watt unit.  228K yen
IC-736S 10 watt unit.  198K yen

(In case youÕre wondering, JAs must identify the specific radio they have
when registering/applying for a station license.  Limitations on power are
specific to each type of license.  10w for 4th class ops, 100w max for *fixed*
stations and 50w max for *portable* stations; plus a couple others.)

* 100v or 200v AC (easily switchable)
* high speed internal antenna tuner w/70 memories.
  looks like the auto-tuner kicks in when SWR is >1.5:1  (except on 6m)
* 50w output on 6m
* Newly developed DDS circuitry provides 1Hz pitch tuning. ex: 50.110.736MHz
* one button SPLIT shifts freq +10KHz
* double band stacking registers
* memo pad
* XFC - transmit frequency check while operating SPLIT
  Also - RCV freq can be locked during split.
* built-in electronic keyer
* TWO key jacks in the back - one for keyer paddle, another for straight
  key or other CW keying (like maybe CT, or a multi-mode controller).

Other info:
Full QSK
CW narrow mode (option) - [probably the filter, only 8% of JA know code].
Passband tuning
Notch Filter
Dual antenna system (select either of two antennas from front panel)
Multiple meter functions
101 memory channels
AF speech compressor
noise blanker
one piece aluminum die-cast chassis
large display
double-fin cooling system
AH-3 control circuitry

Well - thatÕs a synopsis of what I read in the ad - hope it is of interest.
73 de Sandy  WA6BXH/7J1ABV    slay at netcom.com