ARRL contest observations

00pmbarkey at leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu 00pmbarkey at leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu
Mon Feb 21 20:47:46 EST 1994

I was the 20 meter operator at K3LR during the ARRL DX contest
last weekend.  Here are some notes and reactions:

First, the ARRL is a *lot* different from the CQ WW.  There is just
no comparison in the level of activity.  I thought that the level of
participation from JA and the former Soviet republics was way down.
There was almost no Africa at all.  This was very evident on Sunday
afternoon -- bands were open, but no new QSOs to be found.

Soapbox comment:  Couldn't the ARRL do something about this?
Is support for contests now politically incorrect?  A couple of
suggestions are obvious:  (a) allow points from DX-peditions to be
counted towards club scores, and (b) publicize the contest (and
possible new awards as incentives) with DX clubs and ARRL-ish groups.
Maybe point (b) is already being done, I dunno.

Back to the contest ...

We had a different operating setup on 20 than W3LPL.  I was pretty much
the operator.  Tim, K3LR, spelled me for a few hours each night for sleep.
That was pretty much the way it was on all bands -- a one-guy show (six
different guys, of course).

My general comment about the whole weekend was how *weak* signals were.
The only signals I ever remember being over S9 (on a 781 with the preamp
on) were a couple of ZL's late Saturday night.  When the band is really
open, usually it is full of key clicks and trash Europe, but this
weekend it was clean as a whistle.  Not a good sign.

Pretty much copied signals that were completely in the mud the whole
weekend long, especially in the afternoons.  Nothing too unusual about
that -- but I don't think I could have run half the stations that I did
using Tim's antennas (5/5/5 at 170/110/50) if I was at my old house (single
5 el at 130).  I just couldn't have heard them.

I did "notice" the long path opening Sunday morning, but I don't think we
really profitted much by it.  It was nice to figure out that SU2MT was
coming in LP, so that it went from a huge ugly pile SP to in-and-out on LP.
But parking the high beam WSW and calling CQ didn't get any answers at
all, and I didn't hear any LP stuff that we hadn't already worked.
Still, it was a neat opening.

We really didn't have any glitches that we can point to as costing us
QSOs -- we just came up about 100 contacts short of the top US scores,
that's all.  In years past, I think that we could have made that up
with JA's and Asiatic Russians, but they just weren't there for this
contest.  Not this year, maybe not for a lot of years.

We will just have to keep trying, I guess, and hope that the right
propagation will come around to make us more competitive.

   -- Pat
      WA8YVR