UNSUBSCRIBE

bmichaud at VNET.IBM.COM bmichaud at VNET.IBM.COM
Fri Jul 1 13:55:31 EDT 1994

Unsubscribe

From: eric%modular.UUCP at cs.arizona.edu (Eric Gustafson) (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 09:50:32 MST
Subject: slow FD ops

Steve Harrison wrote:

 >Yeah, this zero-beating thing is one of my pet peeves about any CW
 >contest. Give a listen to somebody running a pile on CW sometime, and
 >marvel at how far off frequency almost all of the callers are. Then, try
 >to figure out why that is. The only thing I can figure is that very few
 >of those with modern-day rice boxes understand that they are supposed to
 >leave their RIT alone and tune in the station they want to call at the
 >same audio pitch as their keying sidetone. <stuff deleted>

Steve,

I have recently used a number of radios other than my own as guest op at
other stations.  What I notice is that the ones that depend on passband
tuning to get a narrow bandpass for CW work rather than spend the extra bux
for CW filters rarely achieve alignment between the passband center and the
sidetone pitch.

I also notice that ICOM 765s have a very perverse feature.  They allow you
to vary the sidetone pitch to suit the natural resonances in your phones or
hearing but the pitch change does not affect the offset frequency (the
TS-850 does this correctly...both change when you change the pitch).

This FD I was using an unfamiliar TS940.  It is not owned by a CW op but
ostensibly has a CW filter in it (passband is actually only narrow when
WIDE is selected).  It also has a tuneable narrow audio filter and several
different flavors of passband tuning.  It took the CW crew about 45 minutes
to get all the various adjustments aligned so that the receiver bandpass
sounded like it was centered on the sidetone pitch.  Then, during the
course of operating for several hours (all the phone guys left us), we
noticed that the stations calling us were distributed in a gaussian
distribution centered about 200 Hz below our frequency.  The distribution
curve was about 800 Hz wide at the 2 sigma points.  So even though we were
aware of how to zero another signal, and aware that the radio wasn't
initially aligned correctly, and aware of how to adjust for the offset, and
made a diligent effort to get things right, I believe we were still about
200 Hz off.  Since we were running 100% of the time and did NO S&P, it
didn't matter much to us.  We just parked the TX VFO and tuned the RX
around to catch calls.

My point is that the effect you noticed may have very little to do with the
operators understanding of how to correctly operate a modern radio in terms
of tone matching the sidetone oscillator frequency.  I imagine that during
field day MOST of the stations you hear consist of an operator who is not
the owner of the radio he is using and does not know in what state the
previous operator left all of the (mostly unnecessary) bells and whistles
controls.  Unless the offset is so bad that nobody ever answers him, he
will have no indication of a severe offset between TX and RX.  Since the
radio is someone elose's, he will probably be reluctant to do any tweaking
on his own (although some of us just can't help ourselves).

73,  Eric  N7CL