The perfect HF tranceiver

RKILE at delphi.com RKILE at delphi.com
Sat Jul 2 03:49:04 EDT 1994

                              Tranceiver
    To date perhaps the best HF tranceivers offered were that of 10 years
ago. The venerable TS-930S and TS-940S remain today as perhaps the radios of
choice with the FT-1000, TS-950SDX, TS-850S, IC751A and IC-765 being good
enough to cut the grade. All of these radios offer things wanted and needed
by the active contester. Features such as: RF speech processor, transmit
monitor, QSK, adjustable noise blanker, TX audio tailoring, good
selectivity, passband/variable bandwidth tuning, notch, IF shift, simple
crossband operation, good 2nd and 3rd order intercept points, with lower
phase noise and high dynamic range desirable.
    Finding one of these 10 year old jewels in primo condition is getting
kinda tuff. Kind of like trying to find a Porshe 911S that was only driven on
weekends by a little old lady from Pasadena. Most will need some periodic
maintainance and parts are becoming a problem. Time will tell if the newer
tranceivers can cut the grade and continue beyond the 10 year point with the
tidal waves of component changes. In the mean time trying to fix a TTL level
digital control unit on a phenolic board with blown out through holes can be
tedious and expensive.
    Because many of us are suffering from diverse hobby syndrome, (too many
and too expensive) I would suggest modest approach to tranceiver budget,
with primary emphasis on the antenna system and real estate. You can't work
them if you can't hear them. Buy only what you need for your intended
purpose.
    If I had a choice today it would be a 50lb black box with power supply,
Rf deck, mixer, tx switching, and all the inputs and outputs dreamed of with
suitable connectors mounted on the wall of the hamshack. Coupled to a PC
with fiber optic cable for control, shielded cable for RF to a $200 throw
away DSP board in my computer. Any one out there want to start a project?

73, Bob KG7D

via internet"rkile at delphi.com"