PWR

ames at force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM ames at force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM
Fri Jul 15 16:10:52 EDT 1994

As another data point, since I usually operate low power and have not
even been concerned with the output of a linear (especially if > 1 kw),
even us little pistols get excied about power.  A little over a year
ago I had a contest QSO with a Colorado station and over heard him in
the prior QSO mention that he had a TS830, same rig as mine.  I sent a
QSL to confirm, and his QSL reply stated 200 watts SSB.  This caught my
attention since I can't get anything over 100 watts out of mine.  To
make a long story short, he was going by the old FCC rule of INPUT POWER.
Assuming it has a class AB amplifier, that all connects.

Point 1, a lot of people haven't read the FCC "regulations" in a few
years and are still talking about INPUT power rather than what is
going into the feedline.

Point 2, if people are running Gas/Soup/Nitro they may also assume
they are using Class AB1 or AB2 amplifiers.  I remember back when I
studied for my Commercial licence, all that Hi-PWR stuff is Class C.
I think keeping your signal "clean" might be a potential problem.

73, alan N2ALE/6