Clubs

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Fri Jul 29 15:38:24 EDT 1994

Hi Rich. I want to comment on the following statement:

>One of the purposes of a club is to get people out from
>behind their radios to interact with other people of like interests
>on a direct personal basis.

Firstly, you make the assumption, or at least your comment can lead
one to conclude, that all we do is "sit behind our rigs."  I don't
speak for anyone but myself, especially not FRC.  Having a family and
being active in that family *AND* being an active  contester, often
creates a double-bind. Meaning, it is a difficult juggling act to manage
a career, to be a good parent, husband, active civic volunteer, active
in other clubs and persue other interests that lead to a balanced
life, *AND* be an active contester.

Others (W2UP) have suggested making some of the contests and/or the
awarding structure more "family friendly." Some have proposed limiting
the duration of contests, or even creating categories where we, the
encumbered, could compete on an equal footing.  I won't go to quite that
extreme, feeling that doing the 48 is the way it is, and the way it
should remain. Maybe contetsing isn't the thing that is right for you
at a particular time in your journey thru life.  Maybe, I'll have more
time when the kids are grown.  I can't answer these questions for you, but
I know where my priorities in life are. Recently, contesting has jumped
up several notches on the priority ladder. Fortunately, the only thing
that suffers are my other interests such as fishing, music, and the planning
board (not much goin' on lately).  But, I must remain flexible and go
with the flow.

Mine idea was just a suggestion. Indeed, I am new to club participation
and really wish I could devote more time it.  I greatly appreciate the
fine fellowship that is fostered by belonging, the comradere, that
overwhelming feeling on Friday before the start of "the big one." Those
things are new to me and they have made a lasting impression one me.
I feel that both the club and I have gained much from my involvement.

Again, don't get me wrong I am not against clubs! I fondly remember the
Beach Boys song: "Support Your School" and it captures the feeling
I have of supproting local radio club, and of my recent affiliation with a
contest club.

I may have mispoken on the issue of meeting requirements. And it is your
comments and JP's, that have made think long and hard about the entire
issue.

73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK	Internet:  waltk at pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM	(FRC) Packet: K2WK at N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM

PS:
Excuse me for wasting bandwidth, but thats what Internet is for - exchange
of ideas. If you don't agree, send me a letter via snail mail, I'm OK in CBK.