Single/multi

Ray Rocker rrrocker at rock.b11.ingr.com
Thu Mar 31 12:15:55 EST 1994

The single/multi thread seems to tie in with other discussions of late
regarding leveling of the playing field, top ten boxes for everybody, etc.

The way I see it, innovation is the very heart of contesting and it's an
injustice to stifle it through rules. Those that go the extra mile and
put in the extra effort deserve to be rewarded.

On the other hand, single/multi represents an upping of the ante to become
a member of the contest elite -- an ante that's already staggering. Every
now and then I see people in this forum lamenting about how young hams
aren't getting into contesting. Here's a clue: most young hams can't afford
ONE nice rig, tower, stacks, and place to put them, much less two of each.

So, what's the answer? I think a good start would be adding to the line
scores in the contest results some coded information about number of rigs
used, power (many have this already), and antennas used, so that the little
guys and beginners who don't have the resources or know-how to put together
a sophisticated, top ten quality station can gauge their performance against
others with similar hardware. Meanwhile, let the serious, seasoned ops
continue to duke it out for the trophies and top ten boxes with whatever
tricks they can come up with, within reasonable limits.

Though, I do think a "beginner" class, NOT just LP, in the big contests,
limited to, say, one op, one rig, small antennas (I'll pass on defining
"small"), and maybe even no computers, would do wonders for bringing in
new blood, give little pistols something realistic to shoot for besides
just breaking one's own records, and encourage development of first-class
operating skills in new and financially strapped hams BESIDES those lucky
enough to be taken under the wing of a big gun. Something to think about.
[whoa, that sentence was a mouthful]

I'm digressing so I better stop now. Summary: multi/single, good.
Putting ops without that capability in same category with no identifying
marks in the score report, bad!

-- ray // WQ5L // my $0.01 worth, other penny WAS in the stock market
   rrrocker at rock.b11.ingr.com