HEIL/YAESU

bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com
Thu Mar 31 16:02:32 EST 1994

I installed the replacement speakers supplied by Heil which were purported
to be the "fix" for the low audio problem when the Pro-Set is plugged into
an FT-1000; THIS MOD MAKES NO IMPROVEMENT AND IS A WASTE OF TIME!

Bob Heil claims the problem is due to poor circuit design by Yaesu and told me
to short out the two resistors in the stereo audio lines in the FT-1000.  I ran
this by K7JA at Yaesu and after some study, he STRONGLY DISAGREED with this
proposed solution and feels that damage to the output stage could result
if 8-ohm phones were used without the series resistors.

Chip (K7JA) unsuccessfully tried to retrofit some 8-ohm Yaesu replacement
speakers into the Pro-Set but they don't fit.  Apparently, 8-ohm units are too
deep for the Pro-Set case which is probably why Bob Heil won't give a direct
answer as to why he hasen't offered this OBVIOUS fix.  The original Pro-Set
speakers were 300-ohm and the replacements are 30-ohm units.

Chip is meeting with some engineers from Tokyo soon to try to come up with a
real solution to this problem which may turn out to be a circuit change.  If
any kudos is due, it seems Yaesu is more deserving than Heil.  I'm very
impressed that Yaesu is trying their best to solve a problem that isn't even of
their doing!  All Bob Heil had to say to me after I told him what he already
knew - that the "mod" didn't work - was that Yaesu's circuit was all screwed-up
-- SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!

73 de N6CQ/3 Bill (n6cq at paonline.com)