Telephone interference by hams

KA9FOX at aol.com KA9FOX at aol.com
Wed May 25 17:39:22 EDT 1994

Just ran across this tid-bit from the United States Telephone Association.
 Maybe there is relief in sight for all those telephone interference calls we
get!

"The F.C.C. has released a study on interference on telephones from nearby
citizen band, broadcast and amateur radio transmissions.  The Commission,
which receives 25,000 complaints annually on this issue, hopes that its study
will serve as a catalyst for the design of interference-free telephones."

>From reading this, I gather they believe the phone is usually at fault
instead of the RF producer.  I couldn't agree more!  73 Scott KA9FOX
 (ka9fox at aol.com)

From: Steve Harrison <sharrison at sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 19:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Telephone interference by hams

On Wed, 25 May 1994 KA9FOX at aol.com wrote:

>  Maybe there is relief in sight for all those telephone interference calls we
> get!
>
> "The F.C.C. has released a study on interference on telephones from nearby
> citizen band, broadcast and amateur radio transmissions.  The Commission,
> which receives 25,000 complaints annually on this issue, hopes that its study
> will serve as a catalyst for the design of interference-free telephones."
>
> >From reading this, I gather they believe the phone is usually at fault
> instead of the RF producer.  I couldn't agree more!  73 Scott KA9FOX
>  (ka9fox at aol.com)

As a matter of fact, most of the major BBSes (and also, the East Coast
Megacluster) have a large file containing a synopsis of this test by the
FCC. The bottom line of the test was that the FCC found ALL telephone
interference complaints that they checked to be curable by the use of
what the FCC termed "BULLETPROOF" phones. The FCC reported that only in
a couple of cases did their "BP" phones show any interference; they did
not indicate whether that might have been because the phone, or its wires,
may have been in close proximity to the antenna, nor what kind of
transmitter was not completely rejected by the telephone.

You can guess what will happen if the FCC now tries to say, officially,
that most telephones are inherently susceptible to interference; the
manufacturers, as usual, will retort that the tests were flawed for one,
or more likely, many, reason(s) or another, and any attempt by the FCC to
force the indutry to clean up their products will be fought long and hard
while the manufacturers quietly, behind the scenes, begin to incorporate
various kinds of, at first, relatively ineffective fixes.

And the worst part of this official attitude on the part of the
manufacturers is that many of us on this reflector work for some of the
American manufacturers of cheap, horrible-sounding and short-lived
telephones, and our personal input as engineers/hams is either
disregarded, or we are told it is "economically unfeasible" to either
design the dang thang right from the start, or incorporate later fixes.

73, Steve KO0U/4 <sharrison at sysplan.com>

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr at k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 08:45:18 EDT
Subject: OK2RZ US Visit?

On Tue, 24 May 1994 11:02:19 -0400 (EDT), "J.P. Kleinhaus"
<kleinhaj at iia.org> wrote:

> OK2RZ in New England around June 5?

JP -- As I may not yet be able to talk to the reflector (I
haven't checked lately), please forward the following to the
reflector.

OK2RZ will arrive in Atlanta on June 1, rent a Ford AeroStar
van and proceed that evening to the town of Central, SC,
which is in Western South Carolina, north of Anderson.  His
son's year as a high school exchange student ends on June 3,
and they plan to go to the seaside in NC for a week after
that, so no OK2RZ at the YCCC on June 5.

Beginning around June 6, Jiri, his son Jiri, Jr. (18), Toby
(16 and part of his host family), and Tom (a 33 year old
adventurous buddy from the Czech Republic, a skilled
photographer) will begin a tour of the East Coast.  I'll be
hosting them in Boston.

Jiri is reads and writes English well.  While here, he hopes
to take (and pass) some FCC exams from VE's.  No exam is yet
set up.

Lest you think that this message is not contest related, I
offer a few notes about Jiri.  Just outside of his city, at
a contest location with a flat hilltop by a water reservoir,
he and OK2SSS and OK2RN have been building a contest
station.  Items:  4PV for 15m at 100 feet, HB9CV on 20m at
85 feet, 4PV on 10m at 80 feet, plus slopers and delta
loops, PLUS a 4PV at 80 feet on 80 meters (wires and 2000
feet of rope!).

At home, OK2RZ has a homebrew crankup tower with a long 4PV
on 20 and 15, "a simple HB9CV on 10m", plus inv vees on 40
and 80.

At the printing works, he has a 60 foot sloping wire and a
240 foot inverted L.

While here he wants to find a USB filter for his Drake R4B,
and an ICOM 751A with 500 Hz CW filter.  Why an IC-751A?
The usual reason:  his buddies all have one -- OK1ALW (who
is changing his call after 30 years to OK1RF), OK1RI and
OK2SSS.

After more than 27 years as a designer in a big chemical
plant, Jiri and a friend began a printing works with three
employees in February 1991.  Today they have over 50
employees!  They have six offset printing machines, and
print full color magazines and books.  I guess Jiri has
taken to capitalism.

Hams -- I love 'em.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
             internet:  k1vr at k1vr.jjm.com
"Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low."