Follow-up on Voice Blaster Interface

zf8bs at twg.com zf8bs at twg.com
Sun Oct 9 21:29:52 EDT 1994

  Herewith, a retraction of my statement about the K8CC Voice Blaster
Interface schematic.  Dumb software guys, you know.  It turns out the
1:1 isolation transformer is very much orientable, and I oriented it
backwards.  Once I put it in with the primary connected to the sound
blaster speaker output, everything started working...sort of.  The
2200 ohm resister Dave specified in series with the Sound Blaster
speaker output is a little too weak for me to use along with my Heil
DX microphone element.  Using it this way is sure to bring the old
DXers out of the woodwork, screaming "You're splattering!"  Closer to
about 5K seems to match the Heil up with the Blaster a little better.
I'm going to go to a 5K pot on instead of the 2200 fixed resister.
Also, I've got a miserable problem with hum I've got to figure how
to clear up.  I guess a first order effort will be to use shielded wire
everywhere there's an audio signal, both inside and outside my box.
After that???
  My unit is now asserting both pin 4 and pin 20 on the COM port when
playing back, so there must have been a loose connection somewhere
earlier.  In other words, everything working OK except for all the hum.
As I said...software types!!!
                                  Bruce, AA6KX