Scategories

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Tue Sep 20 17:08:16 EDT 1994

The decision in Europe to do away with the distiction in the Worked
All Europe contest (and others) regardless of its motives, has proven
that packet doesn't make all that much difference for the true
competitor.  The multiplier advantage enjoyed by the assisted op
is balanced by disadvantage caused by the distraction from the task
at hand, namely running. For those who feel that the assisted category
is fer whimps and they haven't tried the class, give it a whirl and
see if you don't agree.

For those parochial thinkers that feel they need to keep a
distinction between classes for single op, I endorse a proposal
put forth here a while back of the introduction of the innovator
class.  This class would encompass the existing assisted category
and include two-radio operating, as well. If we have to go through
all the trouble to acknowledge the distinction by placing an asterisk
next to the call in the results, then the distinction should be given
as much credence as the 'separate' categories for multioperator.
Two radio contesting should be lumped in this category along with robot
operated radios, DVK use, electronic keyers, spotting nets, and any
other innovation that puts a few ahead of the pack.

If on the other hand, you feel the recognition of this distinction
isn't necessary, then lets eliminate the assisted category all
together. It would certainly solve alot of the policing problems;
we'd all be on an equal footing.

73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK		Internet:  waltk at pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM  (FRC) 	Packet: K2WK at N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM