Sunday Sprints?

Jim Stahl k8mr at barf80.nshore.org
Wed Sep 21 17:57:00 EDT 1994

For the record, my phone sprint score was 77/34.

I started the contest at 0255, about 1 minute after our company
for the evening left.

I don't know that I'd want to get serious about this contest
until we can get some propagation on 40 meters, but even then I
probably wouldn't want to go through the grief with my wife over
spending another Saturday evening doing "radio crap".

Which led me to the following thought:

     Has anyone ever considered running the Sprints on Sunday
     evening, local time?

I'm sure I'm not the only contester who has a wife (or babe) who
doesn't relish spending Saturday night at home while her
husband contests away.  Sunday night, on the other hand,
generally is a do nothing evening that is typically spent
watching TV.

So at the cost of keeping us maybe an hour later than normal (in
the Eastern time zone), we could eliminate several Saturday
nights of XYL ill will.  In February (standard time) only the
post contest adrenalin would keep us from a normal night's sleep.
Get to the central time zone and even this hardly applies.

Two more advantages: interference with/from other competing
contests (e.g. WAE Phone, FOC marathon) would be eliminated.  I
also think we would find a good number of contesters who don't
normally  sprint who would show up for something to do on an
otherwise boring Sunday evening.

Comments?

Jim Stahl  K8MR    k8mr at barf80.nshore.org

Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr at barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 216/237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 14.4k-300 baud