Scategories

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Thu Sep 22 12:31:28 EDT 1994

Dave, G4BUO asserts:

>I think with careful use of a CD-Rom callsign database and use
>of master.dta, I could inflate my score by up to about 10% and not be
>detected in many contests. Or, even easier, I could just log those rare
>multipliers without bothering to fight through the pileup and actually make
>the contact. Should we change the rules so this is ok as well?

Thats a huge leap from what I suggest and what you say may happen.

We all are on an honor system.  There is no real way we can police
every possible abuse of the rules.  Hence we enter into these things
with a certain amount of blind faith in the belief that the rules will
be adhered to.

On the issue of Europeans with packet having an advantage in Europe
because there are more multipliers in Europe -vs- the US.  I don't
think the data supports this. We all compete for the same multipliers.
If the Europeans have more multipliers because of proximity, the only
real advantage would usually be on 160 or 80M (now, that 10M has become
a short-skip or ground wave band, you do have some advantage there).
I believe US stations have access to the same pool of multipliers,
and are on an equal footing on the most productive bands.
Take a look at the scores (ref: 1993 CQWW SSB) of the top 10 in
Europe and USA in the single-unassisted. The US 1st place,
beat Eu 1st place, US 2nd place beat Eu 2nd place, positions 3-7
Eu is over US, but by a small margin.  In the assisted category
CH3EJ in North America was leagues ahead of all of us.  The same
pattern (generally) holds true for the SOA category, as well.

I rest my case.
73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK		Internet:  waltk at pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM  (FRC) 	Packet: K2WK at N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM