coax stub summary (part 2)

N0bsh at aol.com N0bsh at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 23:49:13 EDT 1994

Due to limitations with my system I had to do this in two parts.

Mike  N0BSH
n0bsh at aol.com

Onward...
RG-142BU which is that fancy, teflon-on-the-outside, the-size-
of-RG58-but-takes-5KW stuff that you find at swapmeets.  Using
small coax has it's drawbacks, however, becacause of it's higher
loss.  One thing to remember about coax stubs is: The greater the
loss, the sloppier the skirts of the filter, and the shallower the
null as you sweep it.  In other words, hardline makes fabulous coax
stub filters, and RG58 makes ones that only work so-so.  RG213 or
RG8 (same thing, really) have been found by practical experience
to represent the best all around compromise.
Noise bridge:  Start with the coax a little longer than you expect it
to be after you've measured it to a 1/4 wave including the velocity
factor, then you use this noise bridge gizmo and sweep the coax
with your receiver.  Where the hiss goes away is where the stub is
cut for.  It was one of those technical marvel things where
everyone else in the room dropped their jaws and gasped with
amazement.
We use 2 sets of ICE filters. They are cheap ($30) and work well.
there are some buts:
...1 physical filter per band= a lot of filter switching (we built all
of them in a box)
...everywhere I went, someone always blew up the 20m filter. get a
spare
...200w only.
... we tested them in a lab, they DO filter, but only if the SWR is
good.  The higher the swr, the worse the filtering
A comical note. At a multi/multi I know well, they did not follow
my advise and insisted in making their own 2Kw band pass filters.
They tested the filters with the boxes still open and they
performed well. They filled the filters with foam and closed the
boxes. First minutes of the contest:  everyone blew the filters up:
the foam did not dry!
1) All the stubs I have used are 1/4 wave in length...if you leave
the end open, the other end will appear to be closed. If the end is
closed, the other end will appear open.   So for example, to put a
20m null on you 40 antenna, put on a 1/4 wave 20m stub, and leave
the end open. Or you can put a 1/4 wave stub on your 20m antenna,
and leave the end closed. One trick that I have used for open stubs
is to put a small air-variable cap on the end, and make the stub
just slightly shorter than 1/4 wave...then you can set the null
exactly by twiddling the cap while listening to the receiver.

2) Don't use RG58...the better the coax, the deeper nulls you will
get.

3) Doesn't matter...I'm currently using 75 ohm double-shielded RG-
11 that was made for computer networks.

4) Yes, that is what I do...put a T connector on top of the switch. Be
sure to account for the switch changing the length of the stub (use
something like a noise bridge to cut them to length).

5) My current setup...I have 4 1/4 wave stubs on a coax switch to
use with an all-band dipole. The stubs are closed on the end, so I
switch in the one that is 1/4 wave on the band I'm operating on.
There is some improvement, but not that impressive (my antennas
are very close together). We played around with some of the ICE
band filters at FD, and they seemed much more effective. Probably
would also be lighter to take filters than lots of coax stubs on a
dxpedition!
If you wanna really do it right, you need bandpass filters and
stubs!
1)  Length is critical.  Use a network analyser or other device to
tune the stubs.  Stubs are very frequency sensitive... you'll need
one for SSB, and another for CW if you are trying to squeek out
evry last dB.

2) Power was not the problem.  RG58/RG8X did not (in my case)
provide nearly the same attenuation per null as the RG8/213 did.

3) Suspect you can use 75 ohm.  You will already have a small
impeadence bump when you tap for the stub.

4) Yep. Be careful, for the coax switch adds enough length to the
effective length of the stub to change the null outside your
desired band segment!

5) Good question.  All depends if you want to do the filtering
before or after the amps.  Amps are known for suprious emmisions.
The stubs will help cure that, Dunstar/ICE won't.  If you buy new
RG213 for 160 thru 10, you come out about even with a set of
ICE's.

Thanks again to all for the good info.  CU from PJ8Z in CQ WW SSB!