New prefixes for KL7 KH6 KP4

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Sun Apr 2 11:32:18 EDT 1995

The FCC has released a new "Amateur Station Sequential Call Sign System"
Fact Sheet dated February 1995, replacing the one dated June 1991 that is
referenced in the vanity call sign Report and Order.

The new Fact Sheet incorporates changes that the ARRL requested in November
1993, expanding the opportunities for amateurs in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto
Rico to obtain call signs that reflect their geographic location.

In Alaska (Region 11), AL, KL, NL, and WL call signs are no longer limited
to the numeral 7. Any numeral, 1 through 0, is available. The call signs
KL9KAA through KL9KHZ are reserved for assignment to U.S. personnel
stationed in Korea.

In the Caribbean (Region 12), KP3, NP3, and WP3 call signs will indicate the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (except Desecheo Island).

In Hawaii and the Pacific (Region 13), AH7, KH7, NH7, and WH7 call signs
will indicate Hawaii except that the letter K following the numeral 7 will
indicate Kure Island.

Systematically assigned call signs in Groups A and C for Alaska, Hawaii, and
Puerto Rico using the traditional numerals (7, 6, and 4, respectively) have
been exhausted.

The new Fact Sheet also designates Group D call signs (2x3) for club and
military recreation stations.

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093
Phone: 203-668-5444