ISDN, remote stations

K3NA at aol.com K3NA at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 21:34:21 EDT 1995

It is difficult to provide the dynamic range that a receiver "should" deliver
to the headphones over a narrow-band telephone circuit.  I suspect (but
haven't done the mathematics to prove) that one will not hear as effectively
on a crowded band like 40m during a contest, if the audio is digitized and
run over a 64 kbit/s connection.

Transit delay over the terrestrial telecommunications network is negligible
for remote-controlling a station.  Typical delay in the local area is a few
milliseconds.

Certainly there is plenty of remote-controlled receiver and transmitter
technology available in the commercial arena.  Remote-controlling antenna
switching is a bit more complex.

Allowing the imagination to run ahead a bit, it is conceivable that an entire
club could operate by remote-control dialin to one transmitting and one
receiving location.  The transmitter drivers for each operator can feed into
a single-band multi-kW amplifier deck, so that a 10 kW deck could support six
simultaneous transmissions on behalf of six operators, all signing different
calls.

Of course, none of this is permitted under the current CONTEST regulations.
 Receivers and transmitters have to be co-located...

But it is a solution for sharing the expenses of super-station construction,
and for sharing the resources of such a station with the many many people
stuck in housing tracts with limited/no-space or antenna prohibitions.

-- Eric  K3NA
k3na at aol.com